Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki Model United Nations (DSTMUN) is a three-day-long simulation of the proceedings of the United Nations that provides junior high school and high school students (grades 8 to 12) with the opportunity to improve their English and debating skills while discussing global issues on an international level.
This year’s conference will consist of four General Assembly Committees (Disarmament and International Security Committee, Economic and Financial Committee, Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee, Special Political and Decolonisation Committee) as well as five Specialized Agencies (Security Council, Council of the European Union, Special Conference, International Court of Justice, United Nations Development Programme). Depending on the committee they will take part in, delegates are required to conduct research on a multitude of topics in order to draft resolutions while getting familiar with the rules set by the United Nations.
The theme of the 3rd DSTMUN is the 16th Sustainable Development Goal: Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions. According to the official website of the United Nations, “the threats of international homicide, violence against children, human trafficking and sexual violence are important to address, aiming to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development.
They pave the way for the provision of access to justice for all and for building effective, accountable institutions at all levels. To tackle these challenges and build a more peaceful and inclusive society, there needs to be more efficient and transparent regulations put in place, as well as comprehensive, realistic government budgets.
One of the first steps towards protecting individual rights is the creation of more independent national human rights institutions around the world.”¹ Delegates who wish to delve into matters related to the aforementioned theme are invited to take part in this year’s Special Conference committee (SPECON).
Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki Model United Nations 2020 Details
- Event Date:13 to 15 November 2020
- Deadline: 30 September 2020
- Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
- Number of Delegates: 250
- Event Fee:€45
Deutsche Schule Thessaloniki Model United Nations Committee
Disarmament and International Security Committee (GA1)
- The question of the use of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)
- Decommissioning child soldiers in Colombia
Economic and Financial Committee (GA2)
- The issue of the use of tax havens by multinational corporations
- Supporting the economic inclusion of refugees
Social Humanitarian and Cultural Committee (GA3)
- The situation regarding Rohingya Muslims and other minorities in Myanmar
- Addressing human rights abuses towards journalists, trade unionists and human rights defenders
Special Political and Decolonization Committee (GA4)
- Addressing the effects of Brexit on Gibraltar
- The political status of Nagorno-Karabakh
Security Council (SC)
- Mitigating the security risks resulting in the displacement caused by climate change
- Reviewing the application of the Sino-British Joint Declaration on Hong Kong
- Tackling piracy in Gulf of Guinea
Council of the European Union (EU)
- In Iustitia Discordia: Dealing with problematic Member States
- Establishing environmentally friendly forms of transportation
- Increasing the scientific output and innovation of the European Union
Special Conference on Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (SPECON)
- Addressing foreign manipulation of domestic political institutions
- Promoting the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
- Countering toxic narratives about refugees and migrants
International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Aerial Incident of 3 July 1988 (Islamic Republic of Iran v. United States of America)
For further information, don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected]